Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My personal Camera Nostalgia (camstalgia)

Dear Reader

Lets get the boring back tracking out of the way!

What began as a hobby has certainly evolved, my parents call it an obsession, I'd far rather call it a passion.

From my first digital point & shoot camera: the fantastic (and I believe still usable) Panasonic DMC-TZ5 I was hooked.  Fond memories of frolicking on the Welsh hillside on holidays taking as many pictures as possible, and all to ram onto my Dad's relatively small hard drive, remain with me to this day.  Naturally the first relevant upgrade was my Dad's computer.

The way was paved for the development of my photography career.  and the next camera purchase saw me keep loyalty to the Panasonic Brand and so began my ownership of the Panasonic FZ45.  This was the camera which doubtlessly taught me endless lessons about manual exposure, aperture, and ISO sensitivity. and perhaps remarkably this compact camera produced my most popular image (below)


http://www.flickr.com/photos/63692261@N04/5808827386/in/set-72157632432296137/

Despite the accessibility of controls and the ease of use; this wonderfully happy superzoom bridge camera still couldn't satisfy my desire for better and better equipment.
Later I personally found it wanting of an optical viewfinder, which spurred my next large camera purchase, my only regret by this point is not getting more use out of this particular camera.

Following experiences with the bridge camera I now considered that I knew everything there was to know about the subject of photography.
Naturally I was wrong.
But nevertheless at the end of the "noughties" my Dad found his interest in photography rekindled since the days of film in the form of the canon 450D, and as I guess is natural I instantly felt competitive.
Around this time my Grandpa's passing left me with the finances to upgrade yet again to the Nikon D5000, which I bought in a twin lens kit for £500, ignoring the sensible advise to buy canon for lens sharing and cost cutting.

This camera, combined especially with the 18-55mm AF-S kit lens, was capable of producing frankly stunning colour rendition and felt great in my hand for the light amateur use I was still performing. examples of my favourite pictures with this camera are attached below and are also on my flickr account: Diddalls' flickr












 Apologies for the shameless self promotion in the form of the watermarking.

I now considered myself a photographer without a job, and naturally after a lens upgrade or two (it was two)  and leaving Cambridge for the University of Leeds (to study German & Economics) I decided that I needed a job, and a photography related one at that.

More follows in my next blog post: A Passion at Work









No comments:

Post a Comment